Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Discovering your niche

If you scan through blogs about blogging advice, one thing is common among all recommendations...you have to find your niche.  That has been my struggle.  What do I love to write about and importantly, what do you love to read?  I have not been blogging lately because I have struggled with that question.  I would love to hear from you.  I have reflected on my previous blog postings and found that I enjoy talking about the silly things kids do but I also enjoy talking about ways to improve our children's health. In fact, I've considered pursuing a career in nutrition.  I was shocked to find that there is so very little information out there on how to increase a child's weight.  Pediatric nutritionalists are usually called in for an obsese child.  What about that child that is super skinny?  Try as they might, they can't put weight on those bones.  How does that impact their self esteem?  I spoke with one adult who struggled with this throughout childhood and was certain it impacted his self esteem.  The other aspect of nutrition that interests me is what should our children be eating?  I'm certain it doesn't include poptarts or cupcakes.  What nutritional benefit is there to adding vegetables to baked goods?  I hope I can give some yummy recipes while I test this out.  Today, try adding a half jar of carrot baby food or puree your own to your pancake mix.  It gives them a cool orange tinge but doesn't change the taste.
Let me hear from you.  What do you enjoy reading about?

3 comments:

Emmiegram said...

Stacey:
I like reading about your journey as an independently thinking mom. It's a breath of fresh air. I especially appreciate the way you open up your heart and share personal thoughts and feelings. It makes me feel close to you and to your family. Thank you for that.
As far as become a nutritionist...from everything I've been reading, it sounds like it's right up your alley. Go for it. love, j

Jessica said...

I agree with you on the importance of healthy eating, but taking away the "extras" can also backfire. We have very close friends who only eat healthy foods and follow the food pyramid to the meal. However, now that their children have the ability to hang with friends and spend time outside of the restraints of their kitchen, they go absolutely crazy when they are around any sort of "junk" food. Also, they are extremely thin and seem somewhat frail so I see your concern with that. As far as our girls, we watch what they eat, follow a moderately healthy eating lifestyle and an intense exercise lifestyle and we find that they are ambivilent to the extra good treats that are available to them. Don't get me wrong, they don't eat "healthly" by any means and could stand much improvement, especially E and J, but I feel that they have a healthy understanding of food. Don't forget about being forced to eat salad as you were growing up and your feelings about that as well as the push that my parents had towards exercise, I totally rebelled. Now that we're able to make those choices on our own, look where we are and the choices we now make!! BTW...I love your blogs!

BTE Mom said...

Thank you both for the wonderful comments. I totally see where you are coming from Jess and I think exercise is just, sometimes more, important for kids then what they actually eat. Our only strict rules are absolutely no high fructose corn syrup in the house and generally no dyes, ie. red,yellow. No fake sugars either. When we travel or go to parties, I let them eat whatever they want but I also notice how crazy they get with certain junk foods. I actually do not agree with the food pyramid. I think it encourages too many carbs even for kids. If everyone picked whole grains, that would be one thing but most don't. Believe it or not, Bray does not fit the healthy eater category, at least in my eyes which is why i'm always trying to bake fruits and veg into his carbs. It's funny how much I love salads now and you love exercise!

July 18, 2011 4:17 AM