Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Puzzle Pieces of a Child

So I wish I could report that my diet transformation for my kids was right on target but I'm not one to sugar coat things. My son is eating a lot of bacon, great; but his secondary food right now is Popcorners.  Darn those people who made them!  As for Teagan, she is begging for donuts everyday and since I don't have donuts, she cries "there is nothing I can eat", every. single. morning!  So I end up shoving her out the door with a pouch of applesauce yelling "Have a great day honey!"   I guess I have more work to do.

Our kids are often like putting together the pieces of a puzzle.  As parents, we are constantly re-evaluating what works for discipline, self-esteem, diet, and school.  Then you add a challenge such as SPD and the puzzle seems to have so many more pieces to it.  This puzzles has been occupying my every thought for the past two years it seems. Are they low in zinc? Should I try B-12 injections? Do they need a swing in their room? Will melatonin help them sleep? Is school the best place for them to learn? Should I post picture cards through the house?  and the list goes on...

I'm pretty sure this has become an obsession of mine.  Heck, maybe I'll just make a career of it so at least I'll get paid to think about it all day long.  Anyway, the current book I"m reading has managed to make my puzzle triple in pieces. Where the heck was this book 7 years ago?  It is Jenny McCarthy and Dr. Jerry Kartzinel's book "Healing and Preventing Autism"  Now before you all start reminding me that I don't have autistic children, let's look at some similarities.  Both disorders are abnormal ways of responding to stimuli and/or sensations that occur in every day life.  Both are neurological disorders that are influenced by genetics and the environment.  This book addresses much much more than Austism.

What I love about this book is that much of the advice in it applies to most autoimmune disorders.  As many of you know, I have fibromyalgia, an auto-immune disorder.  My mom and her mom have thyroid disease, an auto-immune disorder.  Brayden has a leaky gut and food allergies, immune system disorders.  Teagan had a rare fever disorder as a toddler, again immune system.  Do we see a pattern here?  This book discusses everything from vaccinations, diet, and supplements to detoxification.  A must read in my opinion for every parent that has a child suffering from allergies, asthma, Autism, SPD or any other ailment for that matter.  It just might solve another piece of the puzzle!


No comments: