Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Crazy kids

Now that school is in full swing, let's talk about what to do with the kiddos after school.  I don't know about anyone else's kids, but my two are just plain crazy after school.  No need to sugar coat it, they turn into little monsters I don't even recognize.  There is absolutely no emotional control.  I'm guessing this comes from trying to be good all day long and complying with strict rules.  They walk in the door and immediately start fighting with each other.  Then there is melt down after melt down.  So what's the solution?  Anyone have luck with any particular strategy?  My thought is to continue the strict schedule/rules once they get home. I'm generally a laid back, fly by the seat of my pants kind of mom but that simply isn't working for them.  I'm thinking they should get home, eat their snack, do a fun activity with mom, work on chores, dinner, fun time with dad, then bed.  What do you guys think?

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Stacey~The melt downs will definitely lessen as the year goes on, and I have to say that we had almost no melt downs last year in 1st grade. I think it's that kindergarten year, especially all day kindergarten that is such a huge adjustment. I wish I could tell ya there's some magic trick that works every time, but infortunately there just wasn't for us. Just know it'll will get better and a lot of us have been there too, friend :-)

Emmiegram said...

No quick, easy answers, Stacey. Maybe play soft music in the background when they get home?Like Jodie said, hang in there. It surely will get better.