Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The dreaded stomach virus!

It has struck, with a bang!  Poor Beaner has spent her day alternating between vomiting, diarrhea, sleeping and fevering.  It's not enough that she has to be on Amoxicillin for an ear infection, now this.  All mothers dread the stomach virus because unlike the common cold, there is nothing you can do to ease the discomfort other than love them.  I have to say I am grateful to still be breastfeeding the Beaner as I doubt she could keep down the electrolyte solutions my other two have grown to dislike.  I wish I could say I have some advice for new moms struggling with the stomach bug but nothing makes it easier.  They whine, they moan, then they vomit. I noticed that Beaner loses her fever after vomiting only for it to return until the next time.  I actually got some Tylenol in her this evening. I was smart enough to give it shortly after vomiting before she felt ill from her fever.  I recommend a designated "puke" bowl.  Your kids may even name it but they know to leave it alone unless it's their time.  Now I wait to see if the dreaded virus moves on to Rooster and Bear as I sit here wondering whether to grab the bucket...

What are your tricks for easing this nasty virus for your little ones?

No comments: