Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

The silent killer!

Ok, my blog title is a bit dramatic but if it got you to read this then it worked! Now don't go away, I promise this is short but important.  Today my little Beaner reminded me of something very important that we all know but possibly often forget.  I was sitting next to her glancing at a magazine.  Ok, I was totally absorbed in an article.  Anyway, she was eating pears chopped up which she does on a weekly basis.  I glance over at her and she was choking.  No sound, no warning but visably choking.  Now I'm not going to get all dramatic and say I flung her out of her chair and saved her life because I didn't have a chance to.  She cleared it herself and then I heard the choking sound.  This reminded me though that actual choking is usually completely silent.  So even though I was sitting next to her, I didn't hear her choking.  Now most of the time our children clear it themselves and we freak out as they do thinking they will turn blue.  I just wanted to remind you that choking to the point of cutting off your air supply is often completely silent.  How many times have you passed your little one a cracker in the car to keep them happy?  I sure have.  Do you run to throw the clothes in the dryer while your little one happily snacks?  I have.  Whether your child is 1 or 16, anyone can choke so just remember to check on your little ones while they continue to explore the world of eating.  Bon Appetite!

5 comments:

Nicole M. said...

Very true - it is when they are silent that you have to really worry. Twice we've had that happen with A and it is so scary. It reminds me about this blog article about drowning, and how it is usually silent and nothing dramatic like in the movies: http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/ Scary things but good to remember!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link and comment. Very true about drowning and so scary. I remember an Oprah episode about dry drowning which can happen long after they are done swimming.

Kelly said...

I'm so glad that she is ok! Must have been so scary for you.

Paula said...

WOW! How scary that must have been for you! It does happen so quickly and it only takes one time ...

So glad you were there and that all was okay!

Unknown said...

I think sometimes the best lessons are the hardest ones! She is just fine and I appreciate the comments.