Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Beaner's First Birthday-a letter to my sweet baby

Dear Beaner,
It is with tears of pride that I write this birthday letter to you as you leave babyhood and become a toddler.  This year flew by with an unfairness that only a parent can claim.  I still remember thinking you were a boy as I pushed you into this world with all my strength.  I remember the joy when the doctor pronounced "It's a girl" as I new Peanut would now share sisterly moments with you.  I held you tight even as you peed on me as I didn't want to let you go.  You weighed in at 7lbs, 15 oz and were 20 inches long. I remember holding you as we were pushed into the outside world to travel to our home.  The first few months were a blur of constant diaper changes as we discover your malabsorption disorder, frequent nursing sessions to calm your reflux, and long nights of snuggling on the futon together.  It had been so long since we had a baby in the house that everything felt like the first time again.

Before I knew it three months had gone by and I knew my life had been changed forever.  My career of 12 years no longer mattered as I had three lovely kids that wanted a full time mommy.  It was hard to say goodbye to my work days but everytime I saw your smile I knew it was the right choice.  By this time you were babbling to anyone who would listen and had learned to push yourself over from back to front.  Your giggles melted our hearts and your love for water had already surfaced.


By six months you had mastered sitting up and were starting to scoot all over the floor.  We see a determination in your personality that will take you far in life.  You have mastered saying "dada" which you quickly learn to use to your advantage.  By now your love for hugs and snuggles is evident as we continue to bond.  We continue co-sleeping and breastfeeding which has given you such a special place in my heart.


Nine months quickly came and you pushed through your first two teeth while also mastering your crawl.  At the end of 10 months you took your first steps with the biggest smile.


Today, my love, you are a sweet, intelligent, curious, and adventurous one year old.  You are very much a "mama's" girl and poor Peanut can't sit in my lap without a verbal lashing from you.  Your vocabulary amazes me as you begin your two word phrases.  You have truly changed our lives forever.  You have pushed us to define our success through our family values and time together rather than if we can keep up with "the Jones".  You have taught me that my heart is the best parenting tool I have even when others find it unconventional.  You have motivated us to seek simplicity in our lives so that we can free our minds to see the many treasures you and your siblings enrich us with.  I thank you for these gifts you have given us this year and pledge as your mother to continue to encourage and guide you in your growth.  I look forward to nourishing your growing body with mine and holding you close at night until your ready to let go.  My dear Beaner, as you sleep warm in my arms right now, know that you are a vey special girl and I look forward as we push our way into your toddler years with only looking back to remember the fun we had during your first year.
Lots of Love,
Mama

No comments: